Here is an easy recipe to bake a spongy banana cake good enough to fill two round 1 inch deep pan and 7inch in diameter.
- Butter, for greasing pans
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/8 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large 3 of 8inch long very ripe sweet bananas, mashed
- Not more than a teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Not more than a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans (I use the chopper of food processor)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Butter or grease round cake pans; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl mix the wet ingredients. Start by beat the eggs; mix the vegetable oil, vanilla extract. Then mix the mashed banana.
- In a bigger mixing bowl, stir or mix well together all the dry ingredients with the pecan nuts last.
- Pour the wet on the dry ingredients. I recommend it this way to avoid having your kitchen smoking in flour. Mix all. Stir it well. Pour it on the pans when all mixed well.
- Bake it for 12 minutes or more, until wooden pick or knife inserted to the centre comes out clean.
You can apply frosting on top of the cake. I have my banana cake without icing, it is lighter to have and moreish.
- The ingredient that made it rise and fluffy in texture is the baking soda. Any of these following ingredients, when put too much the cake will taste bitter: baking soda, cinnamon and/or vanilla.
- The shallower the cake the quicker to bake. If you had spread the batter just one inch deep, start checking your cake after 12 minutes. The cake will be soft if baked just right. Inserting a knife or a wooden pick can help determine the cake if baked. It is baked when batter is not sticking on the knife.
- So you don’t need to label it with nuts when serving it to guests, put pecan nuts on top to decorate and at the same time letting the cake to tell everyone it sees it, “I got nuts”.
- You can apply icing to serve it as celebration cake. I have my banana cake without icing as snacks or pudding and it is moreish this way.
Enjoy! I look forward to your feedback.